It is hard to stick with it if you see no progress! This is something that can be said for every activity, but especially when talking about working out.
How do you know if the gym is working? There are a lot of different ways to see the fruits of your labor.
What are they? In this article, we will look at the signs your gym routine is working, as well as things that may be hindering your progress.
Is the Gym Working? Signs To Look For
Is the gym working? Sometimes, it can be hard to tell, so we thought we would give you some ways to tell if you are making any progress. Here are a few signs to watch out for.
- If you can increase your weight and still be able to lift it for the same amount of reps, then there has been some progress.
- Are you finding that you have more energy? Can you stay active for longer throughout the day? If so, then the gym is doing its job.
- Maybe you have realized that your clothes are fitting better. This, too, is a sign that all your hard work is paying off.
- When was the last time you had a serious hankering for a double cheeseburger loaded with everything and some nice hot fries (besides right now)!? The lack of these cravings can be a sure sign that your time at the gym is worth the pain.
- Can’t wait to get to the gym? Then, you have the right motivation, and somewhere in your mind, you know that putting the work in is worth it.
Why Isn’t It Working?
The gym may not be the problem. In fact, if you find that you are not getting the results you are after, you may be doing it all wrong.
One of the biggest mistakes people make at the gym is not pushing themselves hard enough. This is often the case with those who are regular gym-goers.
After they have reached a point where they feel comfortable, they forget to raise the intensity of their workouts. For newcomers, it is common that once they reach the pain threshold, they start thinking that just getting to the point of feeling a little discomfort is enough.
Other factors that may be hindering your progress include the following.
- Working too hard
- Not changing your diet
- Only doing one form of exercise (i.e., cardio)
- Giving yourself a food reward
- Too much, too soon
- Not allowing your body to recoup
- Being inactive the rest of the day
What To Do If the Gym Isn’t Working
If these are the things that are stopping you from achieving your goal, what can you do to change them? A lot of the things you can do have to do with switching things up. If you are working too hard, too little, or only using one exercise discipline, simply change your routine.
The same goes for your diet. If you have started working out but are eating the same old junk, you will never see any progress. Maybe start eliminating things like processed sugars and carbs.
Another thing you can do to ensure that your time isn’t wasted is to set reasonable expectations. Going in and doing too much can burn you out. Lastly, remember your body needs rest, too.
A lot of the progress you see comes from your body naturally repairing itself. Let it do its job and be sure to schedule rest days and get the right amount of sleep.
Tips To Get the Most Out Of the Gym
Whether you are a regular 9 to 5 worker or one of the new wave of digital nomads, keeping a good workout routine can help you stay motivated and keep your energy high. Here are a few suggestions.
- Make sure you warm up and cool down before each gym session.
- Create a playlist that gives you the right amount of motivation.
- Remember that breathing is as important as the motions themselves, so practice proper breathing techniques.
Seeing the progress and results from your time in the gym is key to continued inspiration. Just because you may not see the physical change doesn’t mean there is no change.
Pay attention to your whole body, and if you still don’t see any progress, then maybe you just need to make a few alterations. Once you have done that, you will begin to see your goal getting closer and closer.